- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.*
- Stroke kills about 140,000 Americans each year—that’s 1 out of every 20 deaths.*
- About 185,000 strokes—nearly 1 of 4—are in people who have had a previous stroke.*
- Someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds. Every 4 minutes, someone dies of stroke.*
*Statistics provided by CDC
A stroke occurs when blood supply to part of your brain is interfered with or reduced, preventing brain tissue from getting the oxygen and nutrients it needs. If this interruption is significant, brain cells begin to die in minutes. A stroke is a serious medical emergency, and prompt treatment is critical. Minutes, can reduce brain damage and further complications
This type of stroke is caused by a "blockage" of blood flow. The blockage could be due to a clot or a tear in aartery that supplies the brain with blood. Risk factors include smoking, inactivity, drug abuse, high blood pressure, etc...
This type of stroke is caused when a blood vessel "burst." Blood spill out into the brain and pools. In turn this interrupts blood flow in the brain and caused pressure to build. Risk factors in women include long term hormone replacement therapy, menopause, pregnancy, etc..
Stroke and clinical trials
New research is being conducted daily and new medications are developed based on this research. Moreover, some of these new medications prove to be very effective. If you are interested in joining a clinical trial you may receive these medications at a tremendous discount or for free.
For more information please visit: https://www.stroke.org/en/about-stroke/treatment/finding-clinical-trials
- toes curlon 2020-09-07 at 5:56 pm
Question: Is there a bestexercise for toes that want to curl when walking Thank you for your […]
- Flaccid problemson 2020-08-09 at 2:18 pm
Question Hello, patient was attacked by pontine stroke 4 months ago. He is able to do only elbow […]
- Leg and Arm Movementon 2020-08-09 at 2:12 pm
Question My husband had a stroke on the 6th March 2011. He still has no movement in his left arm […]
- Variety of exerciseson 2020-06-16 at 4:11 pm
Question: Had a stroke a month ago. Right side paralyzed. I now can walk but still need strength […]
- Sensory issue on right handon 2020-05-13 at 4:06 am
Question: What can be done, it’s been 25 days and my hand is ice cold some days worse than […]
- Symptoms Getting Worse After Strokeon 2020-05-09 at 3:39 pm
If you experience sudden declines or changes after stroke, you should seek medical attention.