- Every year, more than 795,000 people in the United States have a stroke. About 610,000 of these are first or new strokes.*
- Stroke kills about 140,000 Americans each year—that’s 1 out of every 20 deaths.*
- About 185,000 strokes—nearly 1 of 4—are in people who have had a previous stroke.*
- Someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds. Every 4 minutes, someone dies of stroke.*
*Statistics provided by CDC
A stroke occurs when blood supply to part of your brain is interfered with or reduced, preventing brain tissue from getting the oxygen and nutrients it needs. If this interruption is significant, brain cells begin to die in minutes. A stroke is a serious medical emergency, and prompt treatment is critical. Minutes, can reduce brain damage and further complications
This type of stroke is caused by a "blockage" of blood flow. The blockage could be due to a clot or a tear in aartery that supplies the brain with blood. Risk factors include smoking, inactivity, drug abuse, high blood pressure, etc...
This type of stroke is caused when a blood vessel "burst." Blood spill out into the brain and pools. In turn this interrupts blood flow in the brain and caused pressure to build. Risk factors in women include long term hormone replacement therapy, menopause, pregnancy, etc..
Stroke and clinical trials
New research is being conducted daily and new medications are developed based on this research. Moreover, some of these new medications prove to be very effective. If you are interested in joining a clinical trial you may receive these medications at a tremendous discount or for free.
For more information please visit: https://www.stroke.org/en/about-stroke/treatment/finding-clinical-trials
- Memory problem and finding hard to readon 2021-04-10 at 3:33 pm
Question: I'm a 34 year old woman. At the start, I thought I was fine with memory and I'm now […]
- Speech getting worse 2 weeks after stroke.on 2021-04-10 at 1:22 pm
:Question: My mom had a mild left side ischemic stroke about 2 weeks ago. She has small deficits […]
- Difficult patienton 2021-04-10 at 1:14 pm
Question: I'm currently handling a patient who is very passive and non-compliant to exercises […]
- Decline months after stroke?on 2021-04-10 at 1:07 pm
Question: My dad had a stroke June 2020 on the right side of his brain, and he seemed to be slowly […]
- Blurry vision and tearingon 2021-04-10 at 12:53 pm
Question: I am sure my guy had a stroke on Thursday evening today is Sunday, and he won't go to […]
- Rehabon 2021-04-10 at 12:29 pm
Question: My son is 33, and he had a stroke. He graduated with a special ed diploma on a 5th grade […]